Breakfast is a somewhat difficult meal for me. I hear so much about the endless breakfast options, porridge, bircher muesli, poached eggs, tofu scambles, baked oatmeal – the list is endless. The trouble is, the most exciting of these options are time-consuming and, well, the ones that aren’t dont particularly fill me up. I love bircher muesli but after about 2 hours I am on the hunt for something else to eat.
The great thing about granola is it’s so crunchy and oaty, it gives your teeth a proper workout and is full of filling ingredients that will hopefully keep you going until lunch time. I’ve tried a lot of granola recipes, all a little t0o sweet for my liking so this one strikes a perfect balance between the natural saltiness from the nuts and the sweetness from the honey. This granola is extremely crunchy and the pistachio butter that is mixed into the mixture gives it another flavour dimension that you wouldn’t originally get from your standard granola recipe. It also keeps really well, so make a big batch of this and have it with your favourite milk/plant milk or serve with yoghurt and some fresh fruit.
This pistachio granola has been adapted from this recipe by The Little Loaf. The original calls for Pistachio Paste, however it’s a tricky ingredient to get a hold of and pistachio butter is pretty easy to make at home yourself. I didn’t opt for any dried fruits to be thrown in, I prefer just nuts and seeds, however, add any combination of ingredients you like, I imagine dried cranberries would work wonderfully.
- 225g rolled oats
- 90g pistachios
- 30g sesame seeds
- 30g pumpkin seeds
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp pistachio butter*
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp runny honey (or maple syrup to keep vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and line a large roasting tin with baking paper
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, pistachios, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, spices and salt until well combined.
- In a small saucepan, combine the pistachio butter, olive oil and honey over a gentle heat, stirring until smooth and combined
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir thoroughly
- Spread the mixture in an even layer over your prepared tray and bake for 25 – 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so, until golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool, the granola will crisp up as it cools.
- Transfer to an airtight container or jar. The granola will keep for 3 – 4 weeks.
*Homemade pistachio butter:
- Roast 2 cups of pistachios at 180oc for 10 minutes
- Blitz in a food processor until a butter forms with a pinch of salt, dash of cinnamon and squeeze of honey.
- The rest will stay for in a container for about 1 month in the cupboard, use for topping porridge, toast, bananas, or anything else that can be smothered in butter!