Chocolate Almond Torte (Vegan + Gluten Free)

Sometimes in life, you just want a big, fat slice of chocolate cake. The reason is that there is no reason, which sometimes is the best reason. It doesn’t need an explanation because more often than not, these things don’t. And when something tastes this good, it doesn’t need words either.

Most of the time I eat relatively healthy, however, that only lasts around 80% of the time as the other 20% is occupied by thoughts of bread lavished in butter, chip shop chips with extra salt and of course big fat pieces of chocolate. Preferably in a cookie or as a wedge of chocolate cake.

Despite my best efforts, I have to accept the fact that for 20% of the time I am going to have to satisfy by innate desires of all things junk because in all honesty, that is the kind of food that makes me happy and that’s okay.

Life is too short to stress over that one or two slices of chocolate cake so mix butter and sugar together, add some chocolate and enjoy the idea of there not needing to be a reason.

This chocolate torte has been adapted from this Cupcake Jemma recipe to make it vegan. It uses soy yolks, which makes it extremely fudgy, and the almonds in place of the flour make it lovely and moist. Ensure you use a good quality dark chocolate to get the best possible taste. Serve with berries and cream for a decadent dessert. 

Ingredients: 

  • 80g original strength soy yolk + 140g soy whey (recipe here)
  • 170g caster sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 200g dark chocolate, chopped very finely (this is best done in a food processor)
  • 250g ground almonds
  • 200g dairy free butter, melted
  • Icing sugar, to dust

Method:

  1. Preheat the oven to 170oc and grease and line the bottom of a 23cm loose bottom cake tin
  2. Begin by whipping the soy whey until it forms soft, foamy peaks and then set aside
  3. Next, whisk the sugar and soy yolk together until combined
  4. Next, fold in the ground almonds, dark chocolate and butter and mix thoroughly until combined. Add the vanilla and give another stir
  5. Finally, carefully fold in the soy whey, taking care not to knock out any of the air
  6. Pour into a loose bottom tin, spread the top evenly and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted only has a few moist crumbs stuck to it (check after 45, but it can take longer)
  7. Leave to cool completely before chilling in the fridge to firm up
  8. Dust with icing sugar and serve with fresh berries and (soy)cream!

You can follow me on:

Twitter || Instagram || Bloglovin || Pinterest

SHARE:
  • Ahh Lynsey! Almond (or flour-less) chocolate cakes are one of my favourite kinds! Anything with almond in it, for that matter. This looks so delectable I’m going to have to try it. My brother’s birthday is coming up, presenting a perfect opportunity to whip one up 🙂

    • AMAZING! I’d love to know what you think! As soon as you have soy yolks in your repertoire that opens up to so much vegan baking! And if youre not worried about making it vegan, you can just swap the soy yolks and whey for eggs – the amount in this recipe requires four eggs! xx