If you, like me, are going through some pretty hard-core revision right now, you’re going to need a brain-boosting snack that will fuel those late night revision sessions. Enter these oaty banana muffins (that are also vegan!!).
So, technically I’m cheating. This recipe is just an updated, jazzed up, version of these banana muffins, made vegan so everyone can eat them. By swapping the eggs for ground flax and honey for maple syrup, my favourite banana muffin became even better.
This is my absolute go-to recipe for whenever I need a carb loaded, perfectly sweet yet good-for-your-heart, kinda snack, and are a great way to put to use those pesky brown speckled bananas being neglected in your fruit bowl. Full with oats, wholemeal flour and no refined sugar these muffins are hearty, filling and good for you; a perfect snack or even on-the-go kinda breakfast. The original recipe can be found here and my non-vegan recipe can be found here.
Ingredients (makes 4 large muffins or 12 smaller muffins):
- 80 ml olive oil
- 125ml maple syrup
- 2tbsp ground flax seed + 6 tbsp water
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 60ml almond milk (or any other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 250g wholemeal flour
- 50g oats + more for the top
- Demerara sugar for the top (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170oc and line a deep muffin tin with 4 muffin cases
- Begin by making the flax egg. Combine the ground flax with the water and set aside for 5 minutes or until it turns thick and ‘gloopy’
- Mix the olive oil together with the maple syrup
- Mix together the mashed banana, almond milk, flax eggs, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and salt
- Whisk in the maple syrup and oil until incorporated
- Finally, gently fold in the flour and oats
- Divide the batter out into the muffin tin then top with a sprinkling of oats and some demerara sugar
- Bake for 32-34 minutes or until a skewer in the middle comes out clean
- Leave for 5 minutes in the tin before turning on onto a wire rack to cool completely
LIKE THIS POST? PIN IT!