When you’re having a meh day, make a chocolate cake. A super duper easy-to-make chocolate cake, that uses the all in one method and requires no fancy decoration or faffing about. Sure, it has a whole ton of sugar, but it’s this kind of food that feeds your soul.
Rich, moist and chocolatey, it’s an indulgent ‘me’ kind of cake, the one that will absolutely make your problems seem a bit more manageable. A cake suitable for breakups or shitty days at work. Or even just a Friday night in with a glass of wine and a duvet.
Oh, and this was hailed as the best chocolate cake that my friend has ever eaten, so I think that tells you everything you need to know.
This cake has been adapted from Paris Pastry Club written by Fanny Zanotti from Like A Strawberry Milk. If you don’t have this recipe book in your collection, I recommend that you buy it straight away. It’s full to the brim with delicious recipes, and a few more complicated ones that stem from Fanny’s years or experience as a patisserie chef. But not only that, it captures pieces of her life through personal stories, polaroids and helpful tips that will aid you in the kitchen. I’ve adapted this to make it dairy-free, but use whatever suits your dietary needs. One thing that must be noted; it’s important to use large eggs. This cake is delicately moist, so make sure you use the correct size eggs to really bind it together.
- 200g plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50g cocoa powder
- 275g caster sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 175g dairy free butter (such as flora freedom)
- 2 large eggs
- 175g dark chocolate, melted
- 80g soy cream (such as alpro)
- 1 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 125ml boiling water
- Preheat oven to 170oc and line a large loaf tin with greaseproof paper
- Combine all the ingredients, except the coffee, in a large bowl and mix until combined
- Add the coffee and mix again until thoroughly combined
- Once you have a smooth, lump free batter, pour into the tin and spread evenly
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a skewer in the middle comes out clean
- Leave to cool completely before slicing and eating
You can follow me on: