I am all about the indulgent weekend breakfasts, especially on a rainy Sunday morning when plans get cancelled in favour of duvet days and cuddles with the cat. The three most indulgent breakfasts I have on a rotation include french toast croissants, Belgium waffles (if I’m feeling fancy) and these ever so simple brown butter crêpes.
I much prefer a crêpe style pancake than the fluffy American sort (although those are good too) but I may be slightly biased, as one summer I ran a crêpe stall at the local market. All summer long I ate nothing but crêpes, mixing and matching different fillings so I didn’t get bored. My personal favourites include cream cheese and morello cherries, dulce de leche and bananas (if feeling fancy pants) and of course, lemon and sugar. You can’t beat a classic.
This recipe is from Paris Pastry Club, my all-time favourite cookbook by Fanny from Like A Strawberry Milk. If you have never heard of brown butter before, check out a recent recipe of mine where I wax lyrical about how brilliant it is. There is, of course, no need to brown the butter if you don’t want to – you’d still be left with a wonderfully tasting crepe, but adding butter that has gone just past that melted stage adds a delicious flavour that would be a shame to miss. As you can see from the picture I have filled my crêpe with Nutella and banana, but get creative with your favourite fillings.
Ingredients (makes 8):
- 100g butter
- 500g milk
- 2 eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 200g plain flour
- 70g icing sugar
- Begin by browning the butter. Place the butter into a small saucepan, on a low-medium heat and begin to slowly melt. After it has melted fully, it will begin to foam, cackle and spit. Keep it on the heat until it starts to turn a deep golden colour and brown flecks appear at the bottom. Pour the butter into a glass and leave to cool
- Sift the flour and icing sugar together into a large bowl
- Whisk the milk, eggs and vanilla together then gently pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until there are no lumps. Finally, add the cooled brown butter and whisk
- Heat a frying pan with a little oil then pour a little bit of mixture into the pan so it completely covers the entire surface in one even layer. Fry gently on both sides until nice and golden
- Serve warm with your choice of crêpe fillings!
LIKE THIS POST? PIN IT!