Can I tell you a secret? I am not the biggest fan of cupcakes. I KNOW. For me, I am quite fussy when it comes to cupcakes, they have to be a nice moist sponge and have a frosting that isn’t too sweet. I have eaten my fair share of dry, sickly sweet cupcakes, so now I don’t risk it and I just opt for another sweet treat instead.
That’s why this recipe is such an old favourite of mine because the sponge is so delicately moist and the mascarpone cream frosting is heavenly. Topped with a gorgeous mixture of fresh summer berries and that is the perfect little cupcake right there. Not dry, not too sweet, just perfection.
Golden milk or ‘hot milk’ cake is a traditional American cake which makes the sponge deliciously light and gives a distinct flavour. I used brown sugar to add a caramel flavour, but you could use caster sugar instead. Also, these cupcakes use a mixture of ground almonds and rice flour to make gluten-free. This recipe only yields 8 cupcakes, so double the mixture if you want to make more (best eaten within a couple of days due to the fresh cream).
Ingredients for the cupcakes (makes 8)
- 1 egg
- 100g light soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 90g rice flour
- 30g ground almonds
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 55g butter
- 120ml milk
Ingredients for the mascarpone cream
- 120ml double cream
- 110g mascarpone
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Summer fruits to decorate
- Preheat oven to 170oc and line a cupcake tin with eight paper cases
- Beat the egg, sugar and vanilla together for about 5-10 minutes or until the mixture has paled and doubled in volume
- Combine the dry ingredients together and then gently fold into the egg mixture
- In a small pan over a low heat, melt the butter then add the milk slowly to the mixture while constantly stirring so the milk doesn’t scorch. Once it is nearly boiling take off the heat and pour into the egg mixture, whisking thoroughly to combine
- Pour the mixture into a jug with a spout then pour into the cases until 2/3rds of the way up. Bake for 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, make the cream by whipping the cream, mascarpone and icing sugar together until soft firm peaks. Don’t over-beat otherwise, the cream will split
- Put into a piping bag, pipe onto the cooled cupcakes and top with a few summer berries
LIKE THIS POST? PIN IT!