I have been very lucky this year and had two visits to the Carribean, the first to Mexico and the second, Saint Lucia. Both times I had some absolutely incredible food, the freshest produce you could imagine – and ever since I have been wanting to make something tropical to bring back those happy Carribean memories.
I first tried making a rum cake. But I haven’t quite found a recipe that is blog-worthy. I then went old school and made an upside down pineapple cake, but that was more year-seven food tech nostalgia than anything else. Then when I saw this recipe from Good Food, I knew I had to give it a go. Passionfruit caramel? Oh my *goodness*, yes.
This is a tropical twist on the simple Millionaires Shortbread with the passionfruit and coconut transporting you to the sandy shores of the Caribbean. Pair with a Pina Colada, Rum Punch or Passionfruit Margarita.
This recipe is incredibly easy to make but does require a bit of patience. First, you have to cook the shortbread and allow that to cool before making the caramel and allowing that to cool. Finally, once the caramel is set, you have to melt the chocolate and spread on top and wait for *that* to set. It’s a lot of waiting around but I promise the end result is worth it. That passionfruit caramel is the stuff of dreams.
Ingredients for the shortbread
- 150g plain flour
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 170g cold butter, cubed
- 75g caster sugar
Ingredients for the caramel
- 90g butter, cubed
- 397g tin of condensed milk
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 3 passion fruits, pulps only
Ingredients for the topping
- 200g dark chocolate
- 30g coconut shavings (optional)
- First, make the shortbread. Grease and line a 20cm square baking tin with greaseproof paper and preheat the oven to 180oc
- Make the shortbread by blitzing all the ingredients together in a food processor until it forms a dough. Alternatively, place the flour and coconut into a large bowl, rub the butter in using your fingers and then finally stir in the sugar. Using your hands, bring the mixture together until it forms a dough
- Press into the prepared tin and smooth over. Bake in the oven for 22-25 minutes or until golden brown on top. Take out of the oven and then leave to cool
- To make the caramel, place all the ingredients, except the passionfruit pulp, into a medium size saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Stir continuously with a whisk for about 5 minutes, or until it thickens slightly. Once it has thickened, take off the heat and whisk in the passionfruit pulp. It will go runny again, but don’t worry it will set as it cools. Spread the caramel over the top of the shortbread, leave to cool completely before chilling in the fridge for at least 1 hour
- Finally, once the caramel has set you can add the chocolate – melt the dark chocolate in a microwave or in a bain-marie and then pour over the set caramel. Top with coconut shavings if you like. Once again, leave to cool completely before chilling in the fridge. Once the chocolate has set, you can cut into squares (I’d recommend using a hot knife to do this as it will be easier to cut through all the layers!).
LIKE THIS POST? PIN IT!