8th August 2019
Epic Victoria Sponge
My favourite local cafe, Tea On The Green, has the most *insane* array of cakes but every time I go, I always treat myself to a Victoria Sponge because it is so good (read this post to have a look at their impressive selection!). It’s absolutely humongous and it comes sandwiched with sweet, juicy strawberries and mountains of softly whipped cream.
From butter, sugar, flour and eggs you can make the most wonderful tasting cake – it’s the simple things that are often always the best. Chuck in some fresh cream and heavenly summer strawberries and you have yourself an incredible summer show-stopper.
This is my take on my favourite cake, from my favourite cafe.
A tip for getting perfect results is to make sure everything is at room temperature. The butter, eggs and milk all should be the same otherwise you may end up with a curdled mixture. It’s also best that the butter is *super soft*, so take it out of the fridge a good few hours before baking. If you don’t want to make an epic Victoria Sponge, half the ingredients for a normal size sponge and reduce the cooking time by 10 minutes.
- 400g butter softened
- 400g caster sugar
- 8 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 400g plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- A splash of milk
- 400ml double cream
- Punnet of strawberries
- Start by pre-heating the oven to 180oc and grease and line two 20cm sandwich tins
- Beat the softened butter with the caster sugar for 5 or so minutes until pale and fluffy
- Add the eggs, a couple at a time and continue to whisk – add a little of the flour if the mixture starts to curdle. Stir in the vanilla
- Fold in the flour and baking powder gently, until no floury patches remain. Finally, pour in a splash of milk to slacken the mixture
- Pour into the two prepared tins and bake for 33-35 minutes until the sponges are well risen, golden brown and a skewer in the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool completely.
- While the cakes are cooling, whip up the double cream until it forms very soft peaks – add a touch of icing sugar if you like to sweeten it.
- Once the sponges are cool, plate one sponge onto a serving plate and top with cream and strawberries. Place the other sponge on the top. Dust with a little icing sugar and serve!