When life means you are too busy to even feed yourself properly (what’s a vegetable?!), then it’s good to have something on hand that satisfies those chocolate cravings, without being full of refined sugars and all that other nasty business. Luckily, I made these beauties a little while ago and they have been patiently waiting in my freezer, for moments just like this.
This recipe has been adapted from Deliciously Ella’s first cookbook. It is incredibly simple and satisfies those sweet cravings while being healthy at the same time. Filled with cacao, almond butter and dates this fudge is both chocolaty, perectly sweet and extremely addictive. Shop bought almond butter is expensive, so I have included how you can make your own. If not, I am sure peanut butter would be a tasty substitution.
- 200g dates, presoaked in boiling water for 10 minutes and then drained
- 5 tbsp almond butter*
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 ½ tbsp cocoa powder
- Blend all the ingredients together in a food processor until a sticky paste has formed
- Line a 20cm square tin with baking paper and pour the sticky date mixture into the tin into one even layer
- Place in the freezer for an hour, then cut into squares.
- Store the squares of fudge in the freezer – they have a much better texture when frozen
*Homemade almond butter
Roast 200g almonds in an oven at 200oc for 10 minutes. While still warm, place the almonds in a food processor and blitz for 10-15 minutes (you may need to scrape down the sides of the food processor every once and while) 0r until a butter forms. Almond butter can be stored in an air-tight container up to a few weeks.
You can follow me on: