Every single summer I forget about strawberries. This particularly soggy august has had me craving autumnal flavours and comfort food, but now that is has reached the end of the season, I want to rewind and take advantage of the summer fruits that have filled the supermarket isles. Sure you can get them all year round, but they are nothing compared to fresh, in season, British strawbrries.
So, I made these biscuits to satisfy a last-minute summer feeling, while perfectly aware summer is quickly turning into autumn. A soft, shortbread base is topped with jammy, fresh strawberries and a crunchy-almost-crumble like topping. They are sticky, sweet and a recipe that needs to be made before the strawberry season is through.
This recipe has been adapted from this Good Food recipe to be made vegan. It’s simple to make, with the jammy strawberries, soft shortbread and crunchy topping making them delightfully moreish. It takes a while to cook, 25 minutes in the first instance, followed by a further 30 minutes; longer than nearly any other biscuit recipe, but the end result is worth it.
- 300g hulled strawberries, sliced thinly
- juice and zest ½ lemon
- 300g plain flour
- 175g caster sugar plus 3 tbsp for the topping
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g + 50g cold hard butter (such as stork baking block)
- 4 tbsp rolled porridge oats
- Preheat oven to 180oc and line a 20cm square tin with greaseproof paper
- In a food processor, combine the flour, 175g sugar, pinch of salt, vanilla and 200g butter and pulse into the mixture comes together
- Spoon out a quarter of the mixture and set aside. With the remaining mixture, bring it together using your hands and press evenly into the bottom of the tin
- Prick the base with a fork and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown
- Meanwhile, combine the sliced strawberries and lemon juice and leave to one side to marinate
- In addition, with your fingers, combine the 50g butter, 3 tbsp sugar, oats and zest of a lemon with the base mixture that was set aside earlier, until crumbly
- When the base is cooked, spread the sliced strawberries all over the base then scatter over the crumbly mixture on top
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool completely before cutting into squares.
You can follow me on: